There is no end to this project.
Yesterday I finished the cutting. Today I moved to assembly.
Lots of pics…. walk with me….
I am going to comment under each pic because I have saved them in numerical order and cannot remember which is which…never mind. That doesn’t matter to you at all. lol.
Okay, this is a royal pain in the ass. How am I going to screw the vertical board to the horizontal board? Those boards in the background helped. I balanced the middle board at the right height, and drilled from the side. I was concerned about splitting the wood.
Here is a tip. You can imagine that as soon as I stood this up, it rocked on the ground. Sure, that will happen. So what I did was — set the thing up first, and then drill the top screw. That worked.
Next I have to bevel the edges of the boards to 7 degrees so it will sit flat on the floor. I took out all these magnificent tools I have in order to perform some calculus, and then it occurs to me that the scrap wood from the cut is the complementary angle of the cut, so I used that as a guide. Later I discovered it didn’t work, but I thought it was a clever idea. I had some issue with the alignment of my band saw blade (Ryobi — don’t buy!), and the tolerances of wood cuts allows a variance that defeats exact science.
I am placing the shelf now. It won’t conform to a square because the bottom board is not relatively flat, (it is at an angle too). So I regroup and try something else. I have to figure out how to get a square measure in order to assure the shelf is level.
Well, of course! How many times has this happened to you! Cutting a 7 degree angle is a real challenge. I rethink how to measure it. I know the angle of the existing board. So I take a rule and mark a parallel line using the edge as a guide. I will then align the band saw blade to that line.
Okay, here I mark a line that is parallel to the side board (and notice that my hands look ancient and fat! Great! Sharing sucks right about now.)
Then I take that board to the band saw and adjust the table to fit the line.
Oh no, that is not a shadow. That is a FLUSH cut. Yeah Daddy! Killer cut.
Now that the band saw is set at the correct angle, I trim the feet to the required bevel. Easy.
This is the clearance under the top board. I can sand that out. No problem.
Sand out the pencil marks. I will then take Pore-Pac and seal the wood. Also, I repair the dings with wood filler.
You can see the dings here. They are called “tear outs” and they occur with plywood often. The filler is Mohawk brand, and is two compounds that when mixed form an epoxy filler. Just use a pinch and roll it to activate the two chemicals. Very cool. It will create a smooth, sandable surface.
Pore-Pac deserves a large pic because this is incredible stuff. It dries quickly, so work fast. A mineral based product, it fills the pores of soft woods. Usually it is used in fine woodworking, but I use it here because – even though I am working with rough wood, I always perform the steps of fine woodworking because those are the skills I seek to develop. There is no way to explain what it is like to work with this goopy stuff, so I won’t try. But I will say this much, you can put the scraps back into the can. Just add some mineral oil and you can reuse it.
You might think this took a long time to build. You are right! Oh sure, all those woodworking videos on the web say it is easy. Bollocks! These five pieces of wood took hours to create. I cannot leave any detail unattended. It’s a curse — and a blessing. :)
But wait. There is no end to this madness. I have applied mahogany stain. (Yes, I disassembled the unit.)
And now I have some color to the project.
Although I am not finished yet, this is the future home of my grinder/buffer. Two days of work.
I know – I work like a tortoise.