I have too many grand pianos in the shop now. I need to store one. I will need a piano skid board, which serves as a flat base for the grand piano to rest upon. These can be rather expensive and since I use several, I build my own. I use commercial grade piano skids for moving, but for storing pianos in the shop, a lesser grade will suffice.
First I started with an 2x8x8 pine wood, trimmed it to 6 feet, and built the end cap which serves to block the piano at one end. You need this end cap to keep the piano from sliding forward when the skid is lifted.
The rails provide strength, prevent warpage in the main board, and keep the piano off the floor when it is stored to prevent incidental water damage from a wet floor.
The end cap is shown here. Screwed and glued. Two holes have been drilled and are ready for the carriage bolts.
This guide did not work very well so I devised another one. The purpose here is to keep the countersunk hole centered on the drill hole so a washer can sit in the hole.
This side of the board will be dressed with padding and keep the bolt from scratching the piano surface.
The padding is just polyester fill used in upholstery. The black material is quilted cotton.
The padding is stapled to one side lightly, then draped across, re-stapled, and brought across once more. You want the surface to be soft but not so much that it will gather when the piano is pushed toward the end cap. The purpose is to keep the finish of the piano from being marred.
A medium thickness strap will be stapled and nailed to the edges of the top layer of padding. My seamstress (wife) is not presently available to put a hem in the top fabric so completion of the project will be delayed. But you can see that this is a pretty simple project. The end cap will be wrapped with padding too. Ropes will be installed through the rails on the bottom and the project will be finished.
After the cloth was added, I glued and screwed lateral support blocks to the underside of the board.
Next I rolled padding up to and over the end cap, wrapped it in the black quilted material and secured it to the frame.
I will wrap this again with a strong web strap. For now, the cloth is very secure.
The trim strap was added. The cloth is stapled underneath, and the strap is stapled again.
In addition to the staples, I added upholstery nails to secure the material and the strap.
Just a few steps to go.
I wrapped the head of the board with scrap webbing. Next I used a jigsaw to cut slots in the 2 x 2 rails and threaded straps through. Total cost is around $60 for materials and straps. This board will work fine for shop storage.